Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Paint.NET community

I used to spend a lot of time in Adobe Photoshop, but as the years have progressed I have spent more time coding, and less time performing graphics work. This eventually led the purchase price of Photoshop to be unjustifiable considering the limited amount of time I would spend using it. However, I still had a need for the occasional image manipulation, re-sizing, or touch-up. This is when I discovered Paint.NET. It is a great tool for the price (free!) and is very popular (so, you probably already know about it)...


What I had not realized until this week, is how great the community support for Paint.NET is. The application always just did what I wanted, so I had not taken the time to search for tips, tutorials, addins, etc. This week, I had a need to perform some more advanced task in Paint.NET, and found myself missing Photoshop’s capabilities. This lead me to search for some better ideas on how to accomplish the tasks I was working on. I quickly found out that there is a great community surrounding Paint.NET. There are tons of helpful blog posts on the net, and the Paint.NET forums are full of helpful users, tutorials, and free effect addins by developers such as Michael Sepcot, BoltBait, and Ed Harvey. This makes Paint.NET an even more useful product, and I’m looking forward to diving deeper into some of these community resources.

No comments: